Wednesday, November 19, 2008

tragic consequences

yo!!! Something really shitty happened!!! On Saturday night, we went to this awesome club/bar, the DJ was spinning the jams, we were happy, we were dancing. We got back home at about 4:30am, and Baber left to go catch a flight home. Carolina and I stayed up for another hour, made some roasted veggies, danced on sofas and chairs, and sang loudly. Around 5:30 or 5:45 am, we passed out. Now, Baber always goes to bed last, and is the one who always chains the door. So, unfortunately, since we were drunk and out of the habit, we forgot to chain the door. At 10am I woke up, and walked out of my bedroom to see a strange pile of my belongings in front of the front door. It included: two sweaters, my gloves, my sunglasses, my hungarian dictionary, and a dance program pamphlet, and my coin purse. I knew that these had certainly been in my messenger bag the night before, so obviously I was confused as to why they were now in a neat pile in front of the door. My only thought was that Carolina had woken up and for some reason needed to use my bag, so she'd taken everything out and left. I walked over to her room to see that she was soundly sleeping in bed. Then I turned and looked at the place on the table in the living room where my laptop should have been. And obviously, it was gone. I yelled words I never thought I would yell: "We were robbed!".

Well, things turned out much better than they could have. Or would have, had this happened in the US, probably. My laptop, bag, student ID card, metro pass, keys and about $7 worth of forint were the only things taken. LUCKILY I had taken my atm/credit card and put it in my pocket that night, even though it's usually in my bag. Same story with my ipod. Carolina had taken her laptop into her room with her. Whoever came into our house didn't come into our rooms at all, since they probably didn't want to wake us us. We think it was someone who lives in our building since they were probably watching us and noticing our habits, and could see that Baber left with a suitcase, and could see when we went to bed, and probably didn't want to wake us up and have us see who they were. We called our landlord and he called a locksmith to change our locks, since they got my keys. However, since it was Sunday, they couldn't do anything until Monday morning, which led to the most terrifying night of my life. We chained the door, set up a booby trap of three stools and a chair in front of it, and knew they probably wouldn't even be returning at all, but still, every single noise I heard would jolt me out of any sleep I was sliding towards, and send my heart racing incredibly fast.

Now I get to go to the police station!! Luckily, my comp was insured for $600 so that's really good. The worst part of it all is really just the idea of some anonymous person coming into our house while we slept. Moral of the story, lock your doors and sleep with your valuables.

1 comment:

AJ Evert said...

Wow, that's terrible Simone. I'd feel naked without my laptop, especially if I was still abroad.

Still, I know you were absolutely loving the next night, which was fraught with unusually REAL terror (since our made-up types are already scary enough). You can't deny getting a sick rush out of it... right?

Finally, booby trapping a living room sounds like so much fun. I hope a bucket filled with something was involved.

And racecars Hundreds of small racecars.